Time to enjoy our short Ohio Summer, heading off to the lake or just staying at home by the pool are great ways to beat the heat with your pet. Here are some things to remember when around the water:
- Do not leave your pet unsupervised. Not all dogs are good swimmers.
- Watch your dog for signs of sunburn or heat stroke, and keep them off hot sand as it can blister paws.
- Just like with people, it is easy for your pup to develop a cramp or become exhausted too far from shore. Purchase a Life Jacket for your pet and use it when out on the water.
- Try to keep your dog from drinking pool water, which contains chlorine and other chemicals that can easily cause a stomach aches. Water from lakes, ponds, and rivers should also be avoided as it often contains nasty parasites that cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other health issues.
- Rinse your pet off after they have been in any type of water. Seawater minerals, salt, chlorine, algae, and pollution can irritate or damage his skin and fur.
- Dry your dog’s ears completely to prevent infection.
Most importantly Have Fun!